adoration

Thursday, January 22, 2009

Oscar Nominations - Where's the Fun




It’s that time of year again…the Oscar nominations are out. Is it just me or do the Oscar noms get more depressing and more obsure every year. Okay, I have at least heard of all of the best picture nominations this year, but where’s the fun?

It seems that the films that are released in Havey Weinstein’s living room get more attention than movies that make 200 million. I know they make the blockbusters so that they can make their small “important” films, but please. I used to like the Oscars when I could really pull for a film. Most of the time my film was way too commercial to win. But at least it was nominated and there was always the chance that a couple of the artsy films could knock each other out and my film could reign victorious.

In recent years, I’ve found myself pulling against films, rather than for one. I go to an Oscar party every year and the year I won our prediction contest, I was predicting the films I didn’t want to win.

The Oscars have thrown the fun seekers a bone by now having the Best Animated film of the year. “Bolt”, “Kung Fu Panda” and “Wall-E”, those are some films I can pull for. But I’m afraid that soon Death & Grief R Us Productions will realize that happy films are snagging oscars and they will start whipping out politically dark animations.

I can’t tell you who walked away with the Oscars last year, but I can tell you Katherine Heigle looked great in a one shoulder red dress, and I loved Jessica Alba’s hair. Amy Adams was stunning and looked like Rita Hayworth at her best and Tilda Swinton wore a…sack.

Because most of the nominated films no longer inspire me, I’ll just have to get used to watching the Oscars for what it’s become for a lot of Americans…a fashion show.

No comments:

Post a Comment